Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The Start of Something New

I've been swinging through the blog-0-sphere for a while, and now I feel like it's time to put down roots. For me, starting is always the hard part. But I figured "Why not?" I'm about to finish my Masters of Art in Christian Apologetics; I'm a father; I've lived on this earth for 35 years--- So I should have something to say, right?

This is my last semester at Biola University and I'm excited. It has been a long and fruitful road that will, hopefully, take me into new and challenging areas. If any Christians are truly interested in expanding their Christian resources I would definitely suggest taking the program. Plus the interaction with other Christians is invaluable.

Some of the subjects I plan to study my final semester are:

1. Augustine's, The City of God against the Pagans (Independent study course)

2. Epistomology

3. World Religion and Science

Now you might ask, "Why Christian Apologetics? What are you going to do with that degree?"
Well, let me tell you a little story---

There once was a young man who felt going to Church was good enough. He would even make it to a mid-week bible study. He was comfortable, happy, and maybe just a little prideful. The most he know or cared about the Bible was "Jesus saves" and "The Lord is my shepherd." What else was there to know?

Until, one day he happened to pick up a book that challenged his faith. The book questioned the veracity of the Bible. It claimed that not everything in the Bible was true, in fact some of the passages and saying were just made. The young man was stunned. Was this true? Could he be following a false religion?

That is when the search for truth started. He read; he listened; he questioned. Up until this time the young man was comfortable. He thought his way was the true way. But as the true Shepherd said, "I am the truth, the way and the life..." The young man was awaken from his slumber. He realized comfort was not always a good thing. And like the parable of the frog who slowly boiled to death, he had a false sense of security.

The young man started on a journey to find the Truth. And you know the funny thing was...the Truth found him. The Truth is sometimes called the Logos, the King, and Lord. But his name is Jesus, and he came to save that which was lost.

The young man continues on his journey, knowing that he will not always have the answer, and his journey will uncover coal as well as diamonds. But he trust the Shepherd will not lead him astray. And now when he is challenged about the Faith, he will be ready to make a defense to everyone who asks to give an account for the hope that is in him.

Soli Deo Gloria.