Monday, April 04, 2005

Christian Community

I haven't blogged in awhile, but I had to blog about my experience at Trinity Christian Reformed Church in Artesia pastored by 21st Century Reformation blogger, Pastor Brad Hightower. I actually found out about Trinity Christian Reformed Church through Brad's blog. Like Brad, I believe that community is very important within the Christian faith. But I've also noticed, at least within the reformed circles, community means this or that particular "clique."

So when I noticed Brad discuss on his blog how important community is I took notice. I was intrigued with the church. I knew Brad can talk the talk, but can he walk the walk? A visit to his church would tell the truth. I was apprehensive at first as I walked through the front doors, but I slowly relaxed as settled into my pew seat.

The sense of community that Brad speaks about in his blog is definitely there in his church. There was friendliness and warmth from the people that seemed genuine and sincere. After the worship service members approached me with friendly smiles and handshakes that didn’t seem false or ostentatious.

A sense of community was there in the instant connections made with some of the members. Being a Biola student probably helped because I found out that there were more than a few Biola alumni in the congregation. Being an African American Christian who has attended several predominately white churches, I can sort of sense when people are truly comfortable around me and when it’s a forced act. I have to say that I truly felt a comfort from the members that didn’t seem fake at all.

This showed itself in the fact that I received two separate lunch invitations after church that caused me some confusion. (I want to apologize to the nice couple with the pregnant wife who invited me for lunch and I wasn’t able to accept.) I honestly have to say that has never happened to me before. To actually receive two separate and sincere lunch invitations felt really good. Inside I truly felt a sense of Christian community. These people didn’t know me and I didn’t know them, but I experienced first hand the Scriptures exhortation for hospitality among believers.

So what started out to be an uncomfortable morning turned out to be a wonderful time of community and true fellowship among Christian’s working out their “salvation with fear and trembling.”