Monday, February 06, 2006

Engineering Dream Jobs (Is it Possible?)


I've been an engineer for over 11 years now and I wouldn't call my current job a 'dream, (I'm a bridge engineer - hence the picture of a bridge). But I found an interesting article concerning engineering dream jobs. Check it out here.

My question is 'what constitutes a dream job?' Is it making a boat load of money? Or is it performing some task that just gives you immense joy? Or is it a job that gives you a little satisfaction at the end of the day? The article doesn't go into the 'philosophy' behind the 'dream job' only highlights 10 engineers who have their dream job. But the philosophy or "worldview" that motivates a person to seek a dream job interest me. Is there a standard which we all follow in seeking the job of our dreams? Is there some criteria for the ultimate dream job? To be honest, I don't know but it's interesting to ask the question, though.