Friday, April 08, 2005

Drinking From a Fire Hydrant

Wow! I just came from a inro lecture on epistemology (the study of how do we know what we know?) given by J.P. Moreland. Some of the highlights include:

4 important questions in Epistemology-

1) What is knowledge and justified belief? (Okay, I'm tracking; It sounds easy)
2) Do we have knowledge and justified belief? (Alright, I'm still with you.)
3) What is the structure of ones noetic structure that best accounts for knowledge? (Okay, I'm lost!)
4) How do we know what we know and what is the extent of knowledge? (Huh, what is the extent?)

Dr. Moreland knows his 'stuff' because we covered a huge amount of information in three hours of class lecture, from learning that epistemology is a normative endeavor to dealing with skeptics from a particularist point of view.

Epistemology is one of the key philosophical categories in today's apologetic endeavor. Most people I've talked to tend to be relativist. (That's okay for you to believe, and I can believe something totally different. It's all good! - sort of attitude.) So your approach is automatically epistemological. (I've also ran into just, plain ignorant people - but that's a whole other story.)

It all comes down to "how do you know?" The essential question of epistemology. As a Christian apologist, we have to be at the top of our game, and J.P. Moreland is Micheal Jordan of the game.

Update: This happened yesterday, but due to technical difficulty I wasn't able to publish it. For some stinging reason (not my own) Blogger kept messin' up. I couldn't publish anything. But now it's cool.